New York has made such an influence on the world, there’s little doubt that it deserves the nickname “microcosm of the universe”! Nonetheless, a vacation spot of such magnitude begs the query of the place to remain when visiting.
I’ve lived in New York since 2015 and might’t think about dwelling wherever else. I’m usually informed by vacationers that visiting New York is a dream trip for them. I’m naturally biased, however I genuinely consider New York is the best metropolis on the earth and want for each customer to this metropolis to suppose the identical.
On this article, I’ll share my prime issues to do in New York in addition to spotlight one of the best locations to remain in The Large Apple. Whereas many individuals decide to spend only a weekend, I like to recommend staying 5-7 days when you can. With 5 boroughs to discover and lots of thrilling neighborhoods to get to know, I counsel staying for longer if time permits.
Finest Areas to Keep in New York
Fast Look: Finest Areas to Keep in New York
Theater District: Finest Place to Keep in New York for Your First Time
In the event you’re a first-time customer to New York, likelihood is you’re coming to take pleasure in the preferred vacationer sights together with Occasions Sq., Rockefeller Heart, and Radio Metropolis Music Corridor. You may additionally be excited about testing a Broadway present or making an attempt out some iconic New York meals.
The Theater District is one of the best neighborhood in New York if these are your targets, and can also be my prime suggestion for the place to remain in New York’s metropolis middle general.
The subway station at Occasions Sq. is the biggest station in the whole community, but when public transit isn’t your cup of tea, taxis are additionally simple to seek out on this space. In the event you’re in search of locations to remain in New York for teams, the proximity to the Occasions Sq. subway station is advantageous and makes for an amazing, central assembly level.
The Theater District is amongst the liveliest neighborhoods in New York. In the event you’ve ever puzzled why New York is named “the town that by no means sleeps”, you’re certain to seek out out by staying right here.
Finest Locations to Keep within the Theater District
The Theater District is without doubt one of the finest locations to remain in New York’s middle, however because of the tourist-heavy clientele, the costs within the space are excessive. That being stated, if it’s your first time in New York, and also you’re capable of, don’t be shy to splurge a bit!
1. Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park: The placement of this resort is excellent and also you’ll be grateful you’re not instantly adjoining to Occasions Sq.. Rooms include a fridge and a piece desk for these trying to get some work carried out throughout their journey.
2. Exhausting Rock Lodge New York: A 5-star resort, the Exhausting Rock is well-established amongst resort chains. This location close to Occasions Sq. contains breakfast with all kinds of choices.
3. Margaritaville Resort Occasions Sq.: The employees speaks all kinds of languages and rooms embrace a desk and protected. The resort additionally options an out of doors swimming pool which is a refreshing approach to begin a day of exploring.
5 High Issues To Do within the Theater District
1. Occasions Sq.: This one wants no introduction – is there any first-time customer who hasn’t gone to Occasions Sq.?
2. Rockefeller Christmas Tree: Arrange for viewing between late November and early January, the Rockerfeller Christmas Tree is amongst probably the most iconic treasures of New York and is a must-see if visiting across the vacation interval.
3. Museum of Trendy Artwork (MOMA): One other first-time customer favourite, the Museum of Trendy Artwork is centrally positioned.
4. Radio Metropolis Music Corridor: Catch the Rockettes at Radio Metropolis Music Corridor and expertise this traditional New York sensation.
5. Madame Tussauds: On the south finish of the Theater District, the Madame Tussauds wax museum permits you to meet all of the New York celebrities you would ever want to see (don’t rely on getting any signatures although!).
The place to Eat and Drink within the Theater District
The Theater District gives every little thing a first-time customer wants when contemplating the place to remain in New York, and food and drinks are not any exception due to the numerous decisions within the space.
1. The Counter: A private favourite of mine, The Counter is a gourmand hamburger store. They supply vegetarian and vegan choices along with commonplace burger fare. Beer and wine are served.
2. Flûte Champagne Bar: One other private favourite of mine, this venue is a (you guessed it) champagne bar with an amazing cocktail menu as nicely. An ideal spot to take pleasure in a romantic night and 2-for-1 completely satisfied hour specials on Tuesdays make this bar probably the greatest.
3. 99 Cent Recent Pizza: The rumors are true, it is attainable to get pizza for $1 in New York! Most of the “greenback pizza” outlets (as they’re so-called) are of questionable high quality, however this place gives constant high quality for the value. Your pockets will thanks later!
East Village: Finest Space in New York Metropolis for Nightlife
I’ve traveled the world to expertise nightlife and I firmly consider that NYC has one of the best nightlife on the earth. A part of the rationale I say that’s because of the nice variety of nightlife on supply.
Whether or not you fancy nightclubs with $18 drinks, grungy dive bars with $5 beers, or jazz bars internet hosting a few of the finest musicians on the planet, New York is certain to set the scene to your ideally suited evening out.
In the event you’re in search of closely touristed nightclubs with lengthy strains, head to the Meatpacking District. Nonetheless, if you wish to keep away from the lengthy strains and hassles of those crowded venues, the East Village is unquestionably one of the best place to remain in New York for nightlife.
Bars are unpretentious and drinks are moderately priced in comparison with many different areas of Manhattan.
Finest Locations to Keep in East Village
Since vacationers often don’t keep within the East Village, lodging right here supply nice worth for the cash when in search of the place to remain in New York. It’s a perfect place to remain when you’re trying to base your self someplace a bit quieter that’s nonetheless near native nightlife.
1. Normal Lodge: The Normal options an impressive on-site restaurant and bar, designer toiletries for company, and a bathrobe.
2. 211-3 Prime Union Sq. Massive 1BR: For individuals who want to hire residences, this lodging is in an amazing location.
3. The Bowery Lodge: The Bowery Lodge options floor-to-ceiling home windows in each room and complimentary bike leases. Good for these excited about biking throughout one of many bridges.
5 High Issues To Do in East Village
The East Village is primarily a neighborhood for nightlife. Listed here are some issues to do whilst you’re on this neighborhood:
1. Russian & Turkish Baths: Particularly enjoyable when you’re visiting throughout colder months, these baths supply a spa expertise in sizzling tubs.
2. Webster Corridor: The oldest fashionable nightclub on the earth. Dwell music is plentiful and an general nice time is assured right here.
3. Eat Avenue Meals: Avenue meals might be discovered throughout New York, and anybody who’s out having fun with nightlife until late is aware of that road meals is a compulsory ending to the night.
4. Union Sq. Greenmarket: A farmers market working on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, this can be a nice alternative to assist native companies from the New York Metro space.
5. Watch a Burlesque Present: In the event you’re coming to benefit from the nightlife of the town that by no means sleeps, why not strive one thing a bit off the crushed path? Some bars, equivalent to Slipper Room, are enjoyable stops to change up your common evening out.
The place to Eat and Drink in East Village
Because the East Village is primarily a base for nightlife in New York, it’s not precisely a foodie sizzling spot. Nonetheless, there are some hole-in-the-wall locations which might be standard amongst New Yorkers, and some unimaginable bars price that includes.
1. Punjabi Deli: A hidden gem in Manhattan, that serves tremendous genuine eats. Don’t count on a elaborate setting (it’s a deli, in spite of everything), however do count on unimaginable meals.
2. The Belfry: Finest recognized for its unique pickleback flavors, The Belfy is a favourite amongst New Yorkers for its pleasant employees and social ambiance.
3. Magnificence Bar: This spot is a crowd favourite amongst New Yorkers. Earlier within the night, you will get your nails carried out whereas having fun with some drinks, and in a while, dance away to 90’s dance music till 4 am!
Williamsburg: Coolest Place to Keep in New York
Because of its hipster vibe, Williamsburg might be the good place amongst New York neighborhoods. Artists are unfold between Williamsburg and Bushwick, so in case you are excited about testing impartial creators, these are nice places to go look.
Williamsburg has lots of espresso outlets, bars, and eating places. Locals preferring the Brooklyn vibe over Manhattan will regularly go to Williamsburg. In the event you’re making an attempt to determine the place to remain in New York with parking, you’ll probably have higher luck in Brooklyn than in Manhattan as nicely.
Lastly, when you’re excited about snapping nice photographs of the Manhattan skyline, you must be exterior of Manhattan! A lot like Lengthy Island Metropolis, Williamsburg is a superb place to get these pictures.
Finest Locations to Keep in Williamsburg
Regardless of Williamsburg being a well-liked place to remain in New York, costs are a bit extra inexpensive right here than costs within the Theater District or elsewhere in Midtown.
1. Pod Brooklyn: Pod Brooklyn incorporates a gorgeous courtyard and a lounge area for company who could also be making an attempt to get work carried out. The breakfast serves worldwide delicacies.
2. Penny Williamsburg: Providing complimentary bikes, this can be a excellent location for company who want to bike the Williamsburg Bridge. Some rooms embrace a kitchenette with a fridge and microwave as nicely.
3. Athenas Domus1: For company who would like to remain in an condo, the 2-bedroom Athenas Domus1 has an 8.8 ranking on Reserving.com and is good for these in search of a bit extra space.
5 High Issues To Do in Williamsburg
Williamsburg has an excellent mixture of indoor and out of doors actions with out the crowds that include Manhattan. I’ve highlighted some nice out of doors actions to strive in Williamsburg beneath:
1. Bike the Williamsburg Bridge: A preferred exercise for locals and vacationers alike, the numerous bridges connecting Manhattan to Brooklyn are an amazing alternative to get some train (and photographs).
2. McCarren Park: Central Park tends to be a bit too busy for some (myself included), and the parks in Brooklyn supply some reduction from the crowds. McCarren Park in Williamsburg is smaller than Central Park and offers guests with a slice of greenery and tranquility within the metropolis.
3. Smorgasburg: A mix of “Smorgasborg” and “Williamsburg”, Smorgasburg is an open-air meals market that happens on Saturdays in Williamsburg. It’s an superior alternative for the foodies.
4. Take the Ferry: In the event you’re staying in Williamsburg, you possibly can take the identical ferry that runs out of Lengthy Island Metropolis for some excellent footage of Manhattan from the river. Be sure to get a seat on the highest deck!
5. Barcade: In the event you’re in search of a quick break from the hustle and bustle of New York streets, Barcade is an arcade-style bar. Include a few buddies for a good time.
The place to Eat and Drink in Williamsburg
Williamsburg is a sizzling spot for nightlife in New York with a vibe that’s completely distinct from Manhattan, (and even the East Village which is a mere 1 cease away on the L prepare).
1. Alligator Lounge: Skee ball, karaoke, and maybe most significantly of all: a free private pizza with each drink… Alligator Lounge gives one thing for everybody.
2. Night time of Pleasure: A cocktail bar in Williamsburg, this ‘joyous’ spot has an superior cocktail menu with a rooftop as well.
3. Home of Sure: One of the crucial well-known golf equipment in New York, Home of Sure is an area of expression, connection, and creativity. Costumes are extremely inspired.
Higher West Facet: Finest for Households
The Higher West Facet is definitely one of the best space to remain in New York for households and is a well-liked neighborhood for locals who’ve youngsters. It’s a bit slower-paced than different components of Manhattan whereas nonetheless providing all of the conveniences a vacationer would need. The result’s that you just’ll really feel fairly at dwelling strolling round along with your youngsters and even with strollers.
The Higher West Facet is conveniently positioned on the 1-2-3 subway strains which run the entire West Facet. This implies you’re capable of go to main vacationer sights from the American Museum of Pure Historical past to Central Park to the World Commerce Heart with out having to switch subway strains.
The truth is, in case you are in search of a cultural expertise to take pleasure in with your loved ones, Lincoln Heart is positioned within the Higher West Facet, and Carnegie Corridor is positioned only a stone’s throw farther downtown into Midtown West. Each venues have frequent performances in classical music, opera, and ballet, amongst a variety of different genres.
Finest Locations to Keep within the Higher West Facet
The Higher West Facet gives lodging which might be nice for households touring with youngsters. Listed here are some choose choices:
1. Lodge Lucerne: This resort is a mere 500 ft from the 1 prepare, and 1,000 ft from the American Museum of Pure Historical past. True to the Higher West Facet family-oriented nature, this resort additionally gives childcare providers.
2. Lodge Beacon: In the event you’re touring with youngsters and wish some kitchenette amenities, Lodge Beacon is a superb alternative. There’s additionally a enterprise middle when you’re making an attempt to get by some work throughout your keep.
3. Superbly Furnished 1BR Central Park West: In the event you want staying in an condo, this feature includes a absolutely geared up kitchen. It’s additionally inside strolling distance from Central Park.
5 High Issues To Do within the Higher West Facet
The Higher West Facet has some actually distinctive experiences, all of that are child pleasant!
1. Central Park Bike Rides: If the climate is good, I strongly suggest renting bikes to experience round Central Park. Distributors might be discovered simply in and across the Central Park entrances.
2. Lincoln Heart: A cultural icon of New York, Lincoln Heart hosts performances throughout myriad genres. Remember to put on applicable clothes (keep away from sweats and cut-off pants).
3. American Museum of Pure Historical past: Dinosaurs, geology, marine biology – you title it! Carry the children for an academic deal with.
4. The Cloisters on the Met: In the event you’re keen to take the A prepare all the best way as much as the top of the road, you’ll discover a gorgeous backyard main as much as the Cloisters. Missed by nearly all of vacationers, I’ve personally taken a dozen visiting family and friends to this unimaginable museum. Due to the space from midtown Manhattan, it’s a wonderful alternative when you’re in search of some peace and quiet that cities usually don’t supply.
5. Riverside Park: Want a break from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan? Take a stroll in Riverside Park. Far much less crowded than Central Park, and also you’ll have an amazing likelihood to loosen up.
The place to Eat and Drink within the Higher West Facet
The Higher West Facet isn’t recognized for its meals, however that’s to not imply there aren’t some unimaginable eating places to be discovered right here:
1. Spaghetti Tavern: True to its title, this spot serves all method of spaghetti. Nice for the children!
2. Chapati Home: Come right here for informal Indian meals at nice costs. A must-visit for street-style Indian meals within the Higher West Facet.
3. Awash Ethiopian Restaurant: Unbelievable Ethiopian meals within the Higher West Facet. In the event you’ve by no means tried Ethiopian delicacies earlier than, this can be a excellent place to start out.
Lengthy Island Metropolis: Finest Place in New York on a Funds
Whereas unusual for vacationers to remain in Queens, it’s the precise purpose why it’s significantly extra budget-friendly for these looking for a keep on this world-class metropolis with out spending some huge cash.
You’ll undoubtedly discover low-cost locations to remain in New York right here. The truth is, I personally dwell in Queens to keep away from the plenty of crowds in Manhattan (and corresponding costs) whereas nonetheless reaping all the advantages of dwelling in New York.
Lengthy Island Metropolis (recognized by locals as LIC) is in Western Queens, which nonetheless offers handy entry to straightforward vacationer sights in Manhattan when you’re keen to spend a bit further time on the subway to succeed in them.
Lengthy Island Metropolis is a superb combination of homely residential and foodie heaven. The Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront has unimaginable footage of the Manhattan skyline and gives myriad bars and eating places to take pleasure in as nicely. The truth is, my fiancée and I did our engagement shoot on the Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront.
Finest Locations to Keep in Lengthy Island Metropolis
In case your prime precedence when looking for a spot to remain in New York is to stay to a price range, Lengthy Island Metropolis is a superb choice. I’ve highlighted a couple of cheap lodging right here:
1. The Native NY: As a giant solo traveler, I really like staying in hostels, and The Native NY is a superb choice. This hostel features a frequent kitchen and a bar on-site to satisfy different vacationers within the hostel.
2. Aloft Lengthy Island Metropolis: For these trying to persist with sure loyalty applications, the Aloft gives comfy stays at cheap costs.
3. Large Bed room Condominium with Free Parking: In the event you want an condo, this feature is near the Courtroom Sq. subway station and even gives free parking!
5 High Issues To Do in Lengthy Island Metropolis
The draw back to staying in Manhattan is that you just don’t get any views of the Manhattan skyline. As Lengthy Island Metropolis is on the western fringe of Queens, staying right here means you’ll get one of the best pictures of the well-known New York silhouette.
1. Benefit from the Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront: The Lengthy Island Metropolis Waterfront is a sizzling spot for excellent eating places and bars. When the climate is good, picnic right here with a bottle of wine. It’ll be far much less crowded right here than in additional standard vacationer locales equivalent to Central Park. Although I dwell right here, I nonetheless like to stroll alongside the water to seize beautiful footage of Manhattan.
2. Take the Ferry: Normally, the Ferry prices your commonplace Metrocard fare and you’ll seize some superior footage of Manhattan’s skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge for a similar fare as a subway experience. There are 2 stops alongside the Lengthy Island Metropolis waterfront. Williamsburg and Lengthy Island Metropolis are undoubtedly one of the best neighborhoods in New York for the Manhattan views.
3. Misplaced in Paradise Rooftop: This rooftop cocktail bar gives beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline. Come take a look at Misplaced in Paradise at evening to see the town that by no means sleeps in lights.
4. Bike the Queensboro Bridge: Considered one of New York’s many bridges, the Queensboro Bridge connects Manhattan and Queens. Discover a bike rental company to bike throughout and see the town from a distinct perspective.
5. Rock Climbing at The Cliffs: It’s simple for many who dwell close to nationwide parks to take pleasure in these kinds of outside actions, however for many who dwell in cities, there are fortunately climbing gyms. To take a look at considered one of New York’s hottest climbing gyms, check out The Cliffs.
The place to Eat and Drink in Lengthy Island Metropolis
Lengthy Island Metropolis has exploded within the final 15 years, and the hospitality scene has grown with it. Listed here are a few of my private favorites:
1. Dutch Kills: This cocktail bar is sought out by many New Yorkers. The truth is, it was rated as having the #1 Outdated Common in New York. You’ll need to strive for your self…
2. Ooi: This Japanese restaurant serves excellent sushi and has a full bar that’s dwelling to all kinds of sake picks.
3. Tikka Masala: An Indian restaurant in LIC with hard-to-find Indian dishes, Tikka Masala is a BYOB which implies you take pleasure in a night whereas staying on a price range.
4. Levante: For gourmand pizza, check out Levante, which additionally gives a collection of unique negroni flavors.
FAQs In regards to the Finest Areas to Keep in New York
Listed here are solutions to some generally requested questions on the place to remain in New York:
When it comes to vacationer sights, one of the best space in New York for vacationers is Occasions Sq.. It’s probably the most central location for entry to the subways and is undoubtedly some of the iconic places in New York.
As a vacationer, there aren’t any causes to remain within the Bronx, Staten Island, or near JFK Airport (until you might be staying in a single day for an early flight). Vacationers who keep in these places are probably making an attempt to economize. In the event you’re touring on a price range, you’re much better off staying in Western Queens in neighborhoods equivalent to Astoria or Lengthy Island Metropolis.
New York is general a really protected metropolis and all the neighborhoods listed on this article can be thought of protected neighborhoods in New York. So long as you keep away from going to the South Bronx, you’re unlikely to run into any bother. (Visits to Yankees Stadium, the Botanical Backyard, or the Bronx Zoo are completely protected.)
Purchasing is nice alongside fifth Ave in Midtown, and lots of high-end manufacturers have retailer places on this space. One other chance is to go to SoHo, which additionally has a robust nightlife scene when you’re excited about each procuring and nightlife.
The phrase “nicest” might be outlined in another way by a number of folks, however when you’re in search of clear areas of New York, Midtown definitely tends to be probably the most well-maintained space. When it comes to the nicest residences, “Billionaire’s Row” is alongside Central Park West, although it gained’t be simple (or low-cost!) to seek out locations to remain right here.
To go to the principle vacationer sights, you would in all probability see so much in only a weekend journey. “Hop-on Hop-off” bus excursions will help you see a lot of the Metropolis with out worrying an excessive amount of about transiting between sights. Nonetheless, to do an exhaustive go to together with issues equivalent to museums and excursions, I like to recommend you propose for between 7-10 days.
Having traveled to over 40 nations and over 30 US states, I actually do consider that New York is the best place on the planet. In the event you’re studying this text and are in search of the place to remain in New York, I hope you’ll discover the opposite actions on right here lots of enjoyable! I hope that after you’ve had the possibility to expertise this vacation spot that many dream of, you’ll agree with me that New York actually is the best place on the earth!
Be happy to succeed in out to me by way of my biography for contact data you probably have additional questions.