You’ll love this up to date model of a traditional: salted caramel apple pie. It has the entire taste you like from caramel apples, with the added bonus of a buttery, flaky pie crust. It’s at all times one of many top-rated Thanksgiving pies on my web site, however you don’t want to attend for a particular vacation to make it. Prime every slice with vanilla ice cream for a dessert that goals are fabricated from!
This is likely one of the first pie recipes I initially printed on my web site, again in 2013. And it’s nonetheless one among my absolute favorites! I make it each Thanksgiving, together with pumpkin pie.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Salted Caramel Apple Pie
- Cinnamon-spiced apples
- Additional additional apple filling (pile it excessive!)
- Buttery, flaky golden pie crust
- Candy, salty, gooey salted caramel (want I say extra?)
- Tastes superb with vanilla ice cream
There are 3 elements to this pie. It’s fairly much like my common apple pie, however with salted caramel inside and on prime. (Probably the most flavorful addition!) First, we’ve got the buttery, flaky pie crust, then the cinnamon-spiced apples, and at last the salted caramel. Let’s begin with the crust. Have you ever ever made pie dough from scratch earlier than?
Begin With High quality Pie Dough
Pie crust could be tough, however it doesn’t need to be. It’s made with a couple of easy components. Flour, salt, chilly water, and fats. You may make pie crust with shortening or with butter. Why shortening? Shortening aids in creating flakiness. Flaky, tender, melt-in-your mouth crust. Why butter? Butter imparts unparalleled, impeccable taste. Nothing beats butter with regards to taste!
My favourite pie crust recipe makes use of each, for the perfect of each worlds. Flaky, tender, buttery pie crust made out of shortening AND butter. And in case you’re searching for an all-butter pie dough, right here is my favourite recipe for all-butter pie crust.
Every of those pie dough recipe posts features a useful video tutorial, step-by-step images, and plenty of troubleshooting suggestions.
#1 Pie Crust Success Tip
Hold the pie dough chilly everytime you aren’t working with it. Depart the pie dough within the fridge whilst you make the apple filling.
Greatest Filling Substances to Use & Why
- Apples: You want about 8 massive apples. Similar to after we make apple cake, I like to recommend utilizing half tart and half candy. I really like tart Granny Smith apples paired with a candy selection akin to Pink Woman, Honeycrisp, Jazz, or Fuji. You get extra advanced taste in every chew whenever you use a combo.
- Sugar: Use granulated sugar to sweeten the apple pie filling. You don’t want an excessive amount of, as a result of additionally, you will be including the sweetness of the salted caramel.
- Lemon: A squeeze of lemon is essential in apple pies. Not sufficient to style the lemon, however simply sufficient to stop the apples from browning and to maintain the flavour brilliant. (Apple pies can style a bit flat with out it.) For these causes, I additionally use lemon in my apple cinnamon babka recipe.
- Flour: Flour thickens the pie filling, turning the juices right into a gooey filling that units up, for a wonderfully sliceable pie. I don’t use cornstarch right here, flour is my best choice. I favor cornstarch for berry pies, like this blueberry pie.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg add unparalleled taste. For added heat, add some allspice or cloves. You’ll be able to actually use both; they’re like a comfortable hug to your tastebuds. 😉
- Salted Caramel: You need to use store-bought caramel sauce or you can also make this common home made salted caramel sauce. I like to recommend home made; my recipe is salty, candy, and irresistibly buttery. You make it on the range with solely 4 easy components, and a pair of of these components are additionally used within the filling and the crust (sugar and butter). No sweet thermometer required, and you can also make the caramel upfront, or whereas your pie dough is chilling.
By the best way, here’s a full listing of the perfect apples for baking.
These Step-by-Step Photographs Will Assist
My pie crust recipe makes sufficient dough for a double-crusted pie. Begin by rolling out your backside pie crust (about 12 inches in diameter) and becoming it right into a 9-inch pie dish.
Subsequent, add the apple filling to the crust. It’s possible you’ll assume, “There’s manner an excessive amount of filling, it gained’t match!” However it’ll, I promise. Pile it excessive.
Now pour about 1/2 cup of salted caramel over the apples.
Take the remaining chilled pie dough out of the fridge. Roll it out right into a 12- to 14-inch-diameter circle. I prefer to make a lattice pie crust for the highest. I used 18 strips of pie dough to lattice and so they have been about 1/2—3/4 inch thick… 9 strips going every manner. Crimp the pie crust edges with a fork, to seal in all that caramel-apple goodness.
Different Topping Choices
In fact, you should utilize thicker strips like I used for this peach pie, or a mixture of thick and skinny strips like I used on this cherry pie. You can additionally strive one thing additional ornamental by studying Tips on how to Braid Pie Crust or following my Pie Crust Designs Tutorial.
Or… be at liberty to skip the highest crust totally (save the opposite half of the pie dough for a pumpkin pie!) and use the oat streusel topping from this blueberry crumble pie or the crumb topping from this apple crumble pie. I typically like to combine this recipe with that topping!
As soon as the pie filling is effervescent, and the crust is golden brown, the pie is finished. Anticipate the pie to chill fully, after which you’ll be able to slice and serve. As at all times, you’ll be able to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and because you’ll have some leftover, add a drizzle of salted caramel on prime. These are the *chef’s kiss* good ending touches to your salted caramel apple pie.
Salted Caramel Apple Pie Success Ideas
- Uniform Apple Slices: Do your greatest to chop the apple slices to be all the identical thickness. Why? You don’t need some thick stable apples and a few skinny mushy apples. You need all of them to bake right into a deliciously soft-yet-crisp texture. Goal for about 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Chilly Pie Dough: Hold the entire pie dough you aren’t immediately working with within the fridge. Heat or room-temperature pie dough is unimaginable to roll and deal with.
- Make-Forward Salted Caramel: You may make the salted caramel upfront, and refrigerate for as much as 1 month or freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge or at room temperature, then warmth it up earlier than utilizing. After refrigerating, the caramel might be chilly and stable, so that you’ll must heat it as much as convey it again to a liquid consistency you’ll be able to pour over the pie.
Remember to take a look at my prime 10 greatest pie baking instruments, however listed below are a couple of particular instruments I like to recommend for making this salted caramel apple pie:
Gooey cinnamon-spiced and salted caramel-infused apples be a part of my buttery flaky pie crust to make this totally unimaginable apple pie variation. I really like this salted caramel apple pie with a traditional lattice prime, however you'll be able to strive the oat streusel from this blueberry crumble pie or the crumb topping from my apple crumble pie. Bake and funky the pie fully, after which prime with much more salted caramel sauce.
- The crust: Put together both pie crust recipe by way of step 5.
- If you're not utilizing store-bought salted caramel sauce, make the home made model. You’ll need to make it now so it will possibly cool because the pie dough chills within the fridge.
- Make the filling: In a big bowl, stir the apple slices, sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, allspice/cloves, and nutmeg collectively till totally mixed. Put aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Roll out the chilled pie dough: On a floured work floor, roll out one of many discs of chilled dough (preserve the opposite one within the fridge). Flip the dough a few quarter flip after each few rolls till you could have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Rigorously place the dough right into a 9-inch pie dish that’s 1.5 to 2 inches deep. Tuck the dough in along with your fingers, ensuring it's easy.
- Spoon the filling into the crust. It is going to appear to be a number of apples; that’s okay. Pile them excessive, and tightly collectively. Drizzle evenly with 1/2 cup (120ml) of the caramel sauce. It’s okay if the caramel sauce remains to be a bit heat. (If home made salted caramel has solidified, heat it on the range or within the microwave till it’s pourable.)
- End assembling: Take away the opposite disc of chilled pie dough from the fridge. Roll the dough right into a circle that's 12 to 14 inches diameter. Utilizing a pastry wheel, sharp knife, or pizza cutter, lower strips of dough; within the pictured pie, I lower 18 1/2-inch to three/4-inch vast strips. Rigorously thread the strips over and beneath each other, pulling again strips as essential to weave. (Right here’s a lattice pie crust tutorial in case you want visuals.) Use a small paring knife or kitchen shears to trim off extra dough. Fold the overhang again in direction of the middle of the pie, and pinch the sides to stick the highest and backside crusts collectively. Crimp or flute the pie crust edges to seal.
- Evenly brush the highest of the pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle the highest with coarse sugar, if utilizing.
- Place the pie onto a big baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Then, protecting the pie within the oven, cut back the oven temperature all the way down to 375°F (190°C). Place a pie crust protect (see Be aware for home made protect) on the sides to stop them from over-browning. Proceed baking the pie till the caramel apple filling is effervescent across the edges, 35–40 extra minutes. This feels like a very long time, however under-baking the pie means an unfinished filling with agency apples with paste-like flour. If you wish to be exact, the inner temperature of the filling taken with an instantaneous learn thermometer ought to be round 200°F (93°C) when achieved. Tip: If wanted in direction of the tip of bake time, take away the pie crust protect and tent a whole piece of foil on prime of the pie if the highest seems prefer it’s getting too brown.
- Take away pie from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and funky for at the least 3 hours earlier than slicing and serving. Filling might be too juicy if the pie is heat whenever you slice it. Drizzle your entire pie or every slice with remaining salted caramel.
- Cowl and retailer leftover pie at room temperature for as much as 1 day or within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward / Freezing Directions: A pair methods to make forward of time! Make 1 day upfront: After it cools, cowl tightly and preserve at room temperature. The pie crust dough may also be ready forward of time and saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Baked pie additionally freezes nicely for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and permit to return to room temperature earlier than serving. Ready filling (with out caramel) may also be frozen as much as 3 months, thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than utilizing.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Glass Mixing Bowls | Rolling Pin | Kitchen Shears | 9-inch Pie Dish | Baking Sheet | Pastry Wheel or Pizza Cutter | Pastry Brush | Pie Crust Protect | Coarse Sugar | Instantaneous Learn Thermometer
- Greatest Apples to Use: Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Keep away from tender, mealy, and mushy apples. For depth of taste, it’s greatest to bake with a mixture of tart and candy apples akin to tart Granny Smith (in my view, that is the perfect general apple for baking) and a candy selection like Honeycrisp, Jazz, Fuji, or Pink Woman.
- Aluminum Foil Pie Crust Protect: You should buy a pie crust protect or make one from aluminum foil. Reduce a 14-inch sq. of aluminum foil. Fold in half. Reduce out a 5-inch semi-circle on the folded edge. Unfold. Rigorously match the aluminum foil over the pie crust edges, securing down on the perimeters as greatest you'll be able to (cautious, the pie is scorching!), leaving the middle of the pie uncovered.
- Hand Pies: If you wish to make smaller particular person apple pies, strive my apple hand pies recipe. You may additionally like these caramel apple turnovers.
Key phrases: salted caramel apple pie