This traditional Mint Julep recipe is aromatic and scrumptious made with bourbon, muddled mint leaves, and easy syrup for the right Kentucky Derby drink,
Mint Julep Season!
Tis the season, buddies! Spring has sprung right here in Minneapolis, and the Kentucky Derby is true round nook, which has us craving a mint julep cocktail. Our tackle a mint julep is made with a easy syrup, bourbon, and muddled mint — and it’s oh really easy to make. We’ll stroll you thru it!
What’s a Mint Julep?
A mint julep is a cocktail made primarily of bourbon, with sugar and mint, served over ice. It’s generally related to the Kentucky Derby, and is usually served on the occasion in addition to viewing events all over the world.
What You Want
- Contemporary mint leaves
- Easy syrup
Bourbon –> rye whiskey: a conventional mint julep requires bourbon, which has a sweeter taste profile than rye whiskey. In case you use rye whiskey as an alternative, know that the cocktail could have a extra earthy taste, making it much less candy. You could want to extend the straightforward sugar used to compensate for this.
Tips on how to Make a Mint Julep
This mint julep recipe is as simple as 1-2-3. Particularly if you have already got a easy syrup readily available. Don’t have easy syrup? Learn to make one beneath!
- Add mint leaves and easy syrup to a lowball glass and muddle till the mint is aromatic and damaged up a bit. In case you don’t have a muddler, the again of a wood spoon works as effectively. This can assist to not solely sweeten your mint julep, however to infuse the complete cocktail with flavorful mint.
- Add bourbon.
- Lastly, fill the glass with crushed ice and stir to mix. Be at liberty to garnish with a mint leaf or two when serving.
Tips on how to Make a Easy Syrup
Easy syrup is such a simple factor to make at residence. It sounds intimidating, however let me inform you, it’s not! We’ll stroll you thru it:
- Place water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Deliver to a boil after which flip to low and let simmer for 10 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Flip warmth off and let cool for 10 minutes. As soon as cool, switch to an hermetic container and chill.
Storage: Retailer easy syrup in an air-tight container within the fridge for as much as 10 days.
Honey Easy Syrup
Our go-to honey easy syrup recipe is a wonderful all-natural easy syrup and really easy to make. It’s scrumptious in cocktails, lemonade, and even in some baking recipes!
Finest Bourbon for Mint Juleps
- Maker’s Mark
- Basil Hayden’s
- Woodford Reserve
- A rye whiskey would additionally work, however will give these mint juleps a extra earthy taste that’s much less candy
Can I batch-make this cocktail?
To show this single-serve cocktail right into a pitcher, merely use our ingredient multiplier within the recipe card. Comply with the recipe as is after which garnish every mint julep cocktail with a mint leaf or two.
- Use recent mint leaves: The mint needs to be the star of the present, so be sure to use recent, flavorful mint leaves.
- Make easy syrup: Easy syrup is a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water that can be utilized to sweeten cocktails. It’s simple to make and might be saved within the fridge for as much as a month.
- Use a great bourbon: bourbon is important for an important mint julep. I like to recommend utilizing a bourbon that’s a minimum of 90 proof.
- Use crushed ice: Crushed ice helps to chill the drink and add a refreshing texture. It additionally barely dilutes the bourbon to make it good and easy.
- Garnish with mint: A mint sprig is the traditional garnish for a mint julep. It provides a contact of freshness and sweetness to the drink.
- Don’t over-muddle the mint: Over-muddling the mint will launch an excessive amount of of its oils and make the drink bitter.
- Serve the mint julep in a julep cup: A julep cup is a conventional glass for serving mint juleps. It has an extended stem and a large opening that helps to chill the drink.