Behold, my favourite luscious dessert! This cheesecake recipe hails from the Basque area of Spain—particularly, from a restaurant referred to as La Viña, the place contemporary cheesecakes line the partitions and scent like heaven.
Actually, I’m unsure why this cheesecake (tarta de queso in Spanish) is known as Basque cheesecake over right here. We must always name it La Viña cheesecake or Santiago Rivera’s cheesecake to offer full credit score to the person who created the idea in 1990.
We loved the true deal on our honeymoon in San Sebastián in 2019. We spent the night wandering via the previous a part of city, sampling pintxos and sipping marvelous cheap white wine all over the place we went, as you do in San Sebastián. I insisted that we make room for the magical, legendary cheesecake at La Viña, so we adopted our noses across the nook till we discovered it.
Quick-forward just a few years, and we’re sleep-deprived with a child at residence. My husband introduced residence a shock Basque cheesecake from an area store. We’ve been obsessively recreating it at residence ever since, making an attempt totally different strategies and proportions. I’m tremendous excited to share the perfected recipe with you right this moment.
6 Causes to Love Basque Cheesecake
Earlier than we get to the recipe, right here’s why you’ll love Basque cheesecake. It’s an expertise!
- Basque cheesecake is remarkably scrumptious. It’s creamy, wealthy, and tangy with a deeply caramelized crust on high that gives tons of taste.
- Basque cheesecake is the simplest of selfmade cheesecakes. In case you have the components, you can make it on a whim for any event—for Valentine’s Day, a celebratory dinner, a potluck with buddies, or simply as a enjoyable weekend venture. Simply take into account that it’s going to want about an hour to chill, and it’s a fantastic recipe to make a day forward if that timing works for you.
- No water bathtub required for Basque cheesecake. Certainly, we need the highest to crack. Embrace it!
- There’s no crust to fuss with. Once more, embrace the expertise. With the quantity of taste within the caramelized high, you received’t miss it.
- It’s not too candy. Conventional cheesecake may be manner too candy, and Basque cheesecake will not be overwhelming in that manner. The recipe under gives a spread for sugar content material so you can also make it fit your style buds.
- Basque cheesecake freezes nicely. Retailer any leftover cheesecake within the freezer for a number of months, or bake an additional to have readily available on your subsequent celebratory event. You possibly can lower the cheesecake even when it’s frozen, so you’ll be able to pull out a slice any time you’d like.
Basque Cheesecake Components
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this glorious cheesecake:
Like different cheesecakes, this Basque cheesecake depends on cream cheese for its heft, creaminess and tang. You’ll want two kilos for this recipe, which is 4 eight-ounce blocks of cream cheese. Don’t substitute “cream cheese unfold” or whipped cream cheese for this recipe.
Plain previous sugar is finest right here. I attempted making the recipe with honey, and it merely wasn’t pretty much as good or as creamy. For a calmly candy cheesecake that also tastes like a deal with, use one and one-fourth cups sugar. For extra conventional sweetness, add one other one-fourth cup. Sweetness is subjective, however we discovered the sweetness cloying after we used nearer to 2 cups.
Heavy cream thins out the cream cheese combination with out watering it down. We’ll want one pint of heavy cream for this recipe. We’ll use a portion of it upfront with the cream cheese to assist combine it, then we’ll add the remaining later.
Cheesecake depends on eggs for construction. A half-dozen eggs is good; seven eggs tastes distractingly eggy.
Whereas technically optionally available, a light-weight splash of vanilla ramps up the flavour a bit.
A small quantity of flour absorbs extra moisture, which turns into extra obvious the following day. You will have a number of choices. All-purpose flour works nicely, as does sifted entire wheat flour (unsifted will go away little flecks of bran in your cheesecake). To make the cheesecake gluten free, we efficiently used Bob’s Purple Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
Basque Cheesecake Ideas
Let Basque cheesecake be.
I attempted a number of variations of Basque cheesecake—with added orange zest, honey as a substitute of sugar, Greek yogurt as a substitute of cream cheese, macerated strawberries on high, and so forth. Basque cheesecake is really finest served plain. With the caramelized high, it’s not boring in any manner. It’s a delight! If you wish to add some presentation worth, strive serving with a ripe purple strawberry on the aspect.
Use a meals processor or combine on low.
For the perfect texture, keep away from whipping air into the batter or over-mixing the batter. That is key! Use a massive meals processor when you have it (minimal 12 cups capability) or a mixer on low velocity. The low mixing velocity may take just a few further minutes, but it surely’s definitely worth the wait.
Know when it’s finished.
Bake till the cheesecake is deeply golden brown on high and nonetheless very jiggly within the heart, about 60 to 65 minutes. As soon as cooled, the middle will solidify nicely sufficient to slice, and the highest will deflate and switch darker and extra shiny.
Really useful Gear
Should you bake considerably usually, you’ll in all probability have every part you want for this recipe. You actually do want this stuff to bake Basque cheesecake at residence (the hyperlinks are affiliate hyperlinks):
Massive meals processor or mixer
Use a big meals processor (minimal 12 cups—I used my Vitamix meals processor attachment), or a stand mixer (good offers on KitchenAid at Goal proper now!), or a hand mixer with a big mixing bowl (I’m keen on this 7-speed mixer). I attempted making this cheesecake by hand and it was so tough that I gave up.
You’ll want parchment paper for lining the pan. With out parchment paper, your cheesecake will overflow into the oven!
Lastly, you’ll want a 9-inch springform pan for baking the cheesecake. The springform pan is the perfect peak and in addition means that you can simply take away the perimeters earlier than serving.
Should you solely have a 10-inch springform pan, that can possible work. Your cheesecake is likely to be finished a bit sooner, so control it because the time approaches and comply with the visible cues supplied. I don’t advocate substituting a cake pan for this recipe, as the perimeters are in all probability too quick.
Find out how to Serve Basque Cheesecake
Basque cheesecake, like most baked items, tastes even higher the following day. The flavors grow to be extra advanced and nicely developed. Make the cheesecake upfront when you have the time.
Some counsel serving Basque cheesecake at room temperature. I like this cheesecake served wherever from calmly heat to straight-out-of-the-refrigerator chilled. I even prefer it straight out of the freezer. In different phrases, I’m not choosy concerning the temperature.
Should you’d like to brighten up the plate, merely serve your slices with a purple strawberry on the aspect.
At La Viña, they typically serve the cheesecake with a glass of candy Pedro Jimenez sherry. I really like this cheesecake with a glass of dry white wine, like an Albariño or Sauvignon Blanc, or a dry rosé. You would additionally strive a dry, funky cider such as you’ll discover in San Sebastián. We love ANXO cider.
Extra Dessert Recipes to Strive
Should you get pleasure from this cheesecake recipe, strive these as nicely:
Please let me know the way your Basque cheesecake seems within the feedback! I really like listening to from you.
- Prep Time: half-hour
- Cook dinner Time: 60 minutes
- Complete Time: 1 hour half-hour
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Class: Dessert
- Methodology: Baked
- Delicacies: Basque
- Weight-reduction plan: Vegetarian
This Basque cheesecake is wealthy, creamy and totally foolproof. It’s additionally very straightforward to make, so far as cheesecakes go! Recipe yields 12 slices.
- 2 kilos cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups sugar, relying on desired degree of sweetness
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 6 massive eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon tremendous salt
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Place a rack in the course of the oven, with no rack above it so the cheesecake has loads of area to rise. Preheat the oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit. Tear off two beneficiant sheets of parchment paper. Cross one on high of the opposite and press them into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Roughly pleat the perimeters of the parchment in opposition to the pan to assist make room for the cheesecake. Ideally, the paper will rise at the very least 2 inches all the best way across the pan.
- In a big meals processor (minimal 12-cup capability), stand mixer or massive mixing bowl (with a hand mixer), mix the cream cheese and sugar. Add about ½ cup of the cream. Course of (or combine on low velocity) till the combination could be very easy and the sugar has dissolved, pausing to scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as obligatory, about 2 minutes.
- Within the meantime, crack the eggs right into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Whereas mixing, pour in all the eggs without delay and mix till easy. Reserve the measuring cup.
- Pause and scrape down the perimeters if obligatory. Pour within the remaining cream, plus the vanilla and salt. Course of till mixed, about 30 seconds (this may take somewhat longer if utilizing a mixer).
- Pour 1 cup of the combination into the measuring cup. Whisk the flour into the combination till easy (this prevents the flour from flying all over the place when blended). Pour the contents of the cup again into the meals processor and mix till easy, about 10 to twenty seconds.
- Pour the batter into the ready springform pan. Gently jiggle the pan to distribute the batter evenly. Take a second to crease the folds of the paper extra sharply so that they relaxation in opposition to the aspect of the pan. Bake till the cheesecake is deeply golden brown on high and nonetheless very jiggly within the heart, about 60 to 65 minutes.
- Place the cheesecake on a cooling rack (it’s going to fall dramatically because it cools). Let it cool for about an hour earlier than serving it or refrigerating it for later, lined.
- To serve, launch the outer piece of the pan and peel away the parchment from the perimeters of the cheesecake. Slice the cheesecake into wedges and revel in. The cheesecake will hold nicely within the fridge for as much as 5 days, or within the freezer for as much as 3 months (the cheesecake is sliceable even when frozen, so you’ll be able to thaw particular person slices if most well-liked).
Make it gluten free: Substitute all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. We efficiently used Bob’s Purple Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
▸ Diet Data
Did you make this recipe?