This web site might include affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we will present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
Ermine frosting, generally known as roux frosting or flour frosting, is made by cooking flour, sugar, and milk. By no means heard of it? I hadn’t both, but it surely’s really a brilliant gentle and fluffy frosting (that does NOT style floury in any respect) that jogs my memory of candy whipped cream. You’ll love this distinctive frosting!
Okay, frosting made with flour?! I do know, it doesn’t sound pretty much as good because it tastes, as a result of this frosting is 100% scrumptious! You possibly can’t style the flour in any respect, and it’s so gentle and ethereal you’ll assume it was whipped cream or had egg whites in it. It’s undoubtedly my new favourite frosting!
What’s Ermine Frosting?
Do you know that ermine frosting is the normal frosting that goes on prime of purple velvet cake? I do know proper, thoughts blown! I believed purple velvet cake ALWAYS had cream cheese frosting, however that’s not the case. So what’s ermine frosting? Properly, get able to be stunned. Ermine frosting is definitely a boiled milk frosting, with flour. You cook dinner flour, sugar, and milk collectively to make a paste. Then you definitely whip that paste till it seems to be like whipped cream. Fairly weird proper? Properly, what’s even crazier is how scrumptious this frosting is!
I used to be NOT anticipating to love this frosting, as an alternative, I’m in love with it. Initially, it nearly looks as if magic when it whips into this gentle and fluffy frosting that jogs my memory of the middle of an angel cream donut. It’s so silky clean, and also you add just a little vanilla flavoring to present it extra depth. You could possibly additionally flip it right into a chocolate frosting by including cocoa powder. It’s the good various to a swiss meringue buttercream if you happen to don’t need to undergo lots of eggs. Use this rather than your buttercream frosting recipe in your subsequent cake and watch how everybody falls in love with this frosting!
Okay, prepare for elements that you simply aren’t used to seeing in frosting! This ermine frosting makes use of granulated sugar and yep, flour. Maintain issues easy and simply use all-purpose flour, it appears to work finest. You’ll find the measurements under within the recipe card.
- Granulated Sugar: Since you are cooking the sugar, you should utilize common granulated sugar and nonetheless find yourself with a silky clean frosting.
- All-Goal Flour: That is the simplest to work with.
- Milk: I like to make use of entire milk, however any type ought to work.
- Butter: Use unsalted, and depart it out at room temperature to melt. You’ll whip it up within the mixer first.
- Vanilla Extract: This provides further depth of taste.
- Salt: Only a sprint to assist stability out the sweetness.
Ermine Frosting Recipe
That is the place the magic occurs. Now that you already know just a little bit extra about ermine frosting, right here is learn how to make it! It’s really a easy course of. I loved making this frosting loads.
- Prepare dinner Substances: Add the flour, sugar and milk to a pan. Cool over medium warmth whereas whisking continually till thick like pudding, about 10 minutes.
- Chill: Take away from the warmth and add to a heat-proof bowl or quarter sheet pan. Cowl with plastic wrap so the plastic touches the highest of the combination and prevents a movie from forming. Chill within the fridge for 40 minutes
- Whip Butter: Add the room temperature butter to a stand mixer and whip with the whisk attachment for about 8 minutes, till the butter is gentle and fluffy.
- Add Flour Combination: Add the flour combination to the butter one scoop at a time till it’s all integrated
- Whip Till Fluffy: Scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl and change to the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and salt and beat on medium-high for 10-13 minutes, till clean and fluffy.
Ideas for Making Ermine Frosting
I like frosting! That’s one cause I had to do that ermine frosting. It sounded completely different, and it’s. It’s not exhausting, actually it’s simpler than meringue for my part. Listed here are some suggestions for making this recipe.
- Making It Gluten Free: So often you don’t have to fret a couple of frosting being gluten free. On this case, if somebody you already know has a gluten allergy, I’d simply make a cream cheese frosting or buttercream as an alternative. I’ve not examined this recipe out with any gluten free flour mixes and I don’t know what would occur! You can provide it a shot, however gluten is what thickens the frosting so it may not work the identical.
- Learn how to Apply Ermine Frosting: It’s a fantastic frosting for spreading with a knife or piping out of a piping bag. It’s agency sufficient for use between layers of cake and below fondant. I want to make use of it as a filling and a topping, however when you whip it up you’ll have a good suggestion of the stiffness.
- Flavoring this Frosting: If you wish to make a chocolate ermine frosting, you’ll add the cocoa powder to the butter earlier than you cream it. I believe you could possibly additionally add the cocoa powder to the milk, sugar, and flour and it ought to work out nice too. I additionally love lemon flavored frosting, and you may add recent lemon juice and zest to the butter if you are whipping it, or together with the milk combination.
Ermine frosting is just a little completely different than your common frosting. You possibly can retailer it within the fridge or freezer. Right here is how I wish to retailer my leftovers.
- Within the Fridge: You possibly can retailer your ermine frosting in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as every week. It would begin to fall flat over time, so you possibly can let the combination come to room temperature and whip it once more if wanted.
- Within the Freezer: You possibly can freeze it for as much as 6 months. You might must whip it once more as soon as it’s defrosted.
Notice: It is best to eat this frosting at room temperature, so pull your dessert out of the fridge just a few hours earlier than consuming it.
Add the flour, sugar and milk to a pan. Cool over medium warmth whereas whisking continually till thick like pudding, about 10 minutes.
Take away from the warmth and add to a heat-proof bowl or quarter sheet pan. Cowl with plastic wrap so the plastic touches the highest of the combination and prevents a movie from forming. Chill within the fridge for 40 minutes
Add the room temperature butter to a stand mixer and whip with the whisk attachment for about 8 minutes, till the butter is gentle and fluffy.
Add the flour combination to the butter one scoop at a time till it’s all integrated
Scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl and change to the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and salt and beat on medium-high for 10-13 minutes, till clean and fluffy.
Energy604kcal (30%)Carbohydrates43g (14%)Protein3g (6%)Fats48g (74%)Saturated Fats30g (150%)Polyunsaturated Fats2gMonounsaturated Fats12gTrans Fats2gLdl cholesterol129mg (43%)Sodium30mg (1%)Potassium111mg (3%)Fiber0.1gSugar41g (46%)Vitamin A1517IU (30%)Calcium90mg (9%)Iron0.2mg (1%)
All dietary data is predicated on third get together calculations and is barely an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.